Thursday, 5 January 2017

10 Things You Should Know About ROZES

For some artists, it takes many years of releasing single after single and album after album before they might, keyword here being might, become the kind of act that can chart a song on the Hot 100, and that’s only if they are the luckiest of the lucky. Every once in a while there comes an artist that gets it right pretty much on their first try, either thanks to a tune under their own name or because of a pairing that just seems to work like magic.

The latter is the case for ROZES, who managed a Top 10 hit just about a year after she decided to start creating music under that name. The singer is known for her smash hit “Roses” with 2016’s EDM darlings The Chainsmokers, which kicked off both her career and the dance duo’s incredible year by peaking at No. 6 and becoming one of the most popular tracks of the past 12 months.

Here are 10 things you should know about ROZES, who might be a mystery to you, though her voice certainly isn’t by now.

 

The Chainsmokers Found Her and Slid Into Her DMs

Believe it or not, this sort of thing actually happens in music sometimes, even though it sounds better than a fairytale.

“They actually followed me on Twitter and then slid into my DMs,” ROZES admits, laughing at her luck. “I was just walking around my college campus grocery store, and I almost had a heart attack.”

That is actually how the two acts “met,” and it wasn’t long until they were actually making music together.

 


She Didn’t Name Her Hit Single After Herself, The Chainsmokers Did

“I didn’t plan the whole “Roses (featuring ROZES)” thing,” the singer explains, trying to clear the air on what must be a somewhat confusing situation for those fans that noticed that her biggest hit is named after the featured vocalist herself. “I reached out to them and asked to hear the song and they had named it already.”

 

She Didn’t Know It Was Doing Well Until She Heard It on Her Local Radio Station

One might imagine that if a song is being sent to radio stations as a proper single and getting the music video treatment, everybody involved would be closely kept in the loop, but that is not always the case, especially in the music industry.

“I remember our management getting in contact and saying, ‘We’re going to do radio trials to see how that works,’ and I guess it did well. I wasn’t really hearing it at the time. I’d been traveling, so I wasn’t home to hear it. I think the first time I heard it was on one of my local radio stations, and. I was like, ‘Oh my god! I listen to this every day and now my voice is on it!’”

 

She Got Her Musical Moniker From Her Grandmother

“My grandma's name is Rose, and whenever my parents had to work and my brothers had to go to school, I was with her. She is a very musical person, so she would make me practice my piano at her house. We’d sit down and play and practice and sing along together. I guess I wanted to be her musical rose, since she was mine.”

 

Thanks to the Success of Her Hit, She Now Owns a Home

While she spends most of her time between New York City and Los Angeles for work (as well as touring on the road from time to time, especially when The Chainsmokers ask her out to a show), she is still a hometown girl. She loves the city of Philadelphia so much, she decided to settle there...at least somewhat.

"I just bought a place in Philly, my hometown, but sadly I’m never there!"



Now She’s Focusing on Writing with Other Acts

Once an artist has found the kind of immediate, immense success that found ROZES, passing on that kind of artistry to others is a great way to ensure that other musicians with something to say get heard by larger audiences. ROZES says she’s been focusing on writing songs for other singers recently, choosing to focus not only on her own tunes.

“I did the ‘All Of Me’ single with Gigantic Logic. I’m writing a lot with Sophie Beem, who is signed under BeyoncĂ©, which is fun. I’ve also written for Victoria Justice from that show Victorious on Nickelodeon.”
 

 

That Doesn’t Mean She Doesn’t Also Have Time For Her Own Music!

Penning future hits for up-and-coming artists is great, but an artist needs to make sure that their fans (especially those just waking up and realizing who someone like ROZES is) are supplied with fresh songs of their own as well! ROZES just recently released her own single entitled “Under The Grave,” which is already off to a great start, and it could get even bigger in the coming months.

“I think we’re pushing radio with this single, so it will be awesome to hear my solo artist career on the radio. We’re going to keep releasing singles and then hopefully a full record at some point.”

 

She Plays Seven Instruments

She might be best known for singing on an EDM track, but that doesn’t mean that ROZES doesn’t know how to play real instruments!

“A lot of people played sports, my family played instruments. We had this music room, and I wanted to play every instrument in it. Fast forward, and now I can play almost seven. I play saxophone — all four kinds (bari, alto, tenor, and soprano), guitar, piano, violin, I sing, the flute, and clarinet.”

 


She Performed with The Chainsmokers at Coachella, Where She Also Kissed Usher

Charting a Top 10 smash might be the highlight of some people’s years, but not for ROZES.

“Usher once kissed me on the cheek at Coachella. I met him backstage at The Chainsmokers. When I came offstage, some guys were like, ‘Miss, Usher would like to say something to you,’ and I was like, ‘Who?’ I turned around and Usher was standing there. He was like, ‘You did a great job,’ and he kissed me on the cheek. Definitely the tipping point of my life.”

 

She Dropped Out of College to Do Music

Stay in school kids, despite what worked for ROZES.

“I was going to school for magazine journalism. Journalism and design. I started out in nursing, and then I switched.”


Learn more fun facts about your favorite up-and-coming artists by visiting our 10 Things page.



from Myspace - Editorial http://ift.tt/2iSzbfY

No comments:

Post a Comment