Everyone's buzzing about Lady Gaga replacing Beyonce at Coachella. They're either pumped about U2 headlining Bonnaroo, or they're realizing that The Farm might have finally lost its allure. Whichever it is, America clearly has power rankings when it comes to music festivals. They're the ones that make headlines, whether you like the lineups or not. And as a result, smaller, more niche curated ones tend to get ignored. We're here to tell you that smaller doesn't mean worse. It often means, if the genre aligns with your style, that the lineup is less focused on star power and more so on acts you actually want to see.
These are our Top 8 music festivals that may not be on your radar, but should be.
Panorama
While maybe bigger than the rest of the festivals on this list, Panorama is a baby when it comes to New York City.
Only in its sophomore year, the folks at Goldenvoice have created a formidable contender for the true heir to Governor's Island. This year's lineup is potentially the most accurate representation of who put out last year's most critically acclaimed albums. Solange, Frank Ocean, A Tribe Called Quest. Maybe their sales were low (or maybe they didn't even put out an album to buy; I see you Frank Ocean), but each could be found in most critic's Top 10 Albums of 2016. And as for the headliners who didn't have a new album last year, well, they are Tame Impala and Nine Inch Nails. So, enough said about that.
Eaux Claires
Regardless of the lineup, I'd go just to show my support for The National & for Bon Iver (members of which have curated the Wisconsin festival).
But in 2017, I'd especially like to go to see Paul Simon, Chance the Rapper & Wilco in the span of just three days. I wonder if the latter two of the aforementioned artists will collaborate at all, given each's well publicized relationship with Chicago. Could you imagine Chance rapping over "Heavy Metal Drummer"? Or Nels Cline jamming over "Good Ass Intro"?
Primavera Sound
Who said this list needed to be contained to the United States? Summer after summer, the most dependable lineup comes from Primavera Sound in Barcelona.
The headliners alone are enough to make any music geek buy an international flight. Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean, The XX... the lineup is so stacked, Van Morrison got bumped to the second line! While major music festivals around the world have turned towards pop, the folks in Barcelona have remained true to what made them a success to begin with.
Lockn
I start this off by disclaiming that I'm not much of a jam guy, and I finish it by saying that I went to the first year of Lockn, and it was one of the most well organized festivals I've ever been to.
With two stages side by side, you never have to leave once you've settled yourself in the festival grounds. And for anyone who's ever spent four full days traversing Bonnaroo, you know how sore your legs can get. Lockn in just a few short years has come to own the jam niche. Put on by the by now legendary Peter Shapiro, don't miss out if this is your sort of thing.
Rolling Loud Festival
Hip-hop heads, this is the festival you deserve. While some of our larger festivals might have gotten their feet wet in the genre, some more soaked than others, Rolling Loud submerges its whole body and jumps in face-first.
Headlined by the festival-ubiquitous Kendrick Lamar, look for the rapper to make a statement performance while booked amongst his peers.
Sasquatch Festival
I'll admit, Sasquatch has seen better lineups. And while I'd love to see both Frank Ocean/Chance The Rapper many times this summer, I feel significantly less enthusiastic about Twenty One Pilots/The Head and the Heart.
Music aside though, what Sasquatch has over nearly every festival in America is its view. Set atop a gorge, overlooking miles of lush nature, there are few finer places to enjoy music. For that alone I'd be willing to make the trip.
Newport Folk Festival
Though not the most well-known, the Newport Folk Festival is probably the most historic music festival still in existence.
Around since 1959, this fest was where Bob Dylan's controversy first arose. In recent years the lineup has gone a bit more mainstream, showcasing the biggest talent in modern American folk music and beyond. And this year? Well, they have Fleet Foxes first set in almost five years. And that is not something to be taken lightly... Newport Folk Festival is sold-out, a testament to its ability to stay relevant for over half a century.
Boston Calling
Highly reliable is what I would call Boston Calling. Each year they book a steady lineup of rock, pleasantly surprising me with an off-brand grab like Chance the Rapper.
And while I could do without the (in my personal opinion) highly contrived Mumford & Sons, there's a lot to be excited about here. Solange, Tool, Bon Iver, Mitski, Car Seat Headrest — and found in the tiny font is a steady cast of phenomenal indie rock.
Gathering of the Juggalos
Just kidding.
See what else made it into our Top 8 by visiting its official page.
from Myspace - Editorial http://ift.tt/2m1eFuD
No comments:
Post a Comment